Friday, March 1, 2013

Challenge Accepted! Coconut Oil Edition

Photo courtesy of: WikipediaSince Boyet is Filipino; he is quite accustomed to coconut oil. Coconut in all its forms has been used in the Philippines for thousands of years and has so many uses that I couldn’t possibly even begin to create a list.  The Philippines is the world’s largest producer of coconut crops in all their varieties. So it’s easy to see why it’s woven into the fabric of their lives.  I, frankly, am a little jealous because I am just discovering all the magnificence of the coconut.

I grew up thinking that coconut existed only in those packages of dehydrated flakes.  I was so terribly, terribly wrong.  Buko (fresh young coconut) is quite possibly the most glorious thing my taste buds have ever had the pleasure of experiencing. Sadly, buko does not exist in the middle of Oklahoma. So, currently I have decided to challenge myself to learn more about the most readily available form we have here. Coconut oil! 

I have a Pinterest board dedicated to this challenge. I decided to start with a collection of 10 ‘recipes’ for a variety of different uses for coconut oil.  The goal is to have tried all 10 recipes within one month.  My qualifications for selecting recipes for this challenge were that the recipe needed to be easy to find (thank you Pinterest), easy to make (only 3-5 ingredients) and easy to follow. In other words, if it’s too complicated I won’t do it. It’s that simple. So without further ado, here are the recipes I have chosen to include in my coconut oil challenge.

 

Body Wash

 

Shampoo


Hair Conditioner

 

Body Butter

 

Toothpaste
Not gonna lie, kinda worried about this one.

 

Face Mask

 

Face Cleanser

 

Face Cream

 

Body Scrub



Sticky Residue Remover



Finally! Some yummy stuff.
Kettle Corn

 

Magic Shell Ice Cream Topping

 

Smoothie

 

Of course, I will be blogging about each of these experiences so you will be able to follow my journey with coconut oil right here! Please follow our Shalunya & Boyet Facebook page to stay informed this challenge. I gladly welcome your suggestions, comments, and thoughts about my coconut oil challenge. Feel free to join me in this challenge to become better acquainted with coconut oil.

NEW FEATURE here at Shalunya & Boyet. We have decided to add a postscript to every post to keep us focused on our motto, “Talk about Anything, Pray about Everything, Laugh about Nothing.”

We’re talking about: The awards our girls are receiving for the end of their school year.
We’re praying about: Mama’s Cancer Treatments and her health
We’re laughing about: Boyet does a great imitation of me when I get frustrated. It’s spot on!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you.