Thursday, July 1, 2010

Beef on a leaf………

Those that know me well, understand that I am a very picky eater.  I always have been and always will be.  I am not the try anything once kind of girl.  I prefer to determine the contents of my food upon a quick visual inspection.  So the fact that I experienced local Gunsan cuisine is quite an interesting accomplishment for this simple girl.  My biggest regret was that I failed to bring my camera along to document my experience.
The first thing one needs to understand about beef on a leaf, beefy leaf, or Korean Galbi is that you cook it yourself over gas/charcoal grill located in the middle of your table. 
beefonaleaf7
Above each table is a ventilation hose to pull the smoke out of the dining area.
beefonaleaf4

The thinly sliced beef is brought to your table raw and marinated. Each meal is served with a full buffet of extra items.  Some of which are side items like a Korean salad which is most similar to American cole slaw or Kimchi which is a Korean staple. Their is also a variety of items with which you can flavor your meal to your liking such as sliced onions, sliced garlic, sliced peppers, sliced radish thingy, spicy bean paste, etc.
beefonaleaf3
You are also provided with tongs and scissors so you can cut your meat into bite sized pieces.  Once your meat is done to your liking then you simply pile it into a piece of lettuce, roll it up and enjoy.  Now I will confess that the particular establishment at which we ate was a bit more dated than the photos you see above.  So it was quite the challenge for a prissy girl like me to relax and just enjoy.  But I did and I even enjoyed the meal….I am especially digging the Korean salad/coleslaw stuff.  But I might deny it later.

2 comments:

  1. Brad wants to know if you tried the Kimchi. I said no. It stinks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW!! Pop rocks!! Did you know they were there or did you find out as you were eating the stuff??
    Glad to hear your enjoying your time in Korea again!!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you.