Saturday, April 3, 2010

The madness of shopping in Korea…..

I made the 2-3 hour drive to Sinjang shopping center outside Osan.  Shopping in Korea is nothing like shopping in America. It’s quite different and it can be very intimidating. Although some things can be the same, such as the 7-11.
102_4451
Although that sign says Sinjang Shopping Mall, there is no “mall,” it’s several streets lined with little shops.  The shop owners will try to get your attention and try to entice you into their store with promises of ‘discounts.’
102_4452
This is the main street of the ‘shopping mall.’ Not exactly what we American’s are accustomed to. 
102_4454
Down one of the side streets is the food portion of the Sinjang shopping mall.  I cannot begin to imagine buying my food out of a bin on a sidewalk, which I guess probably makes me spoiled. But it does really make me very, very, very thankful for American grocery stores. 
102_4448
As you can see the streets are very small, crowded and their goods frequently spill out into the street in front of their store.  Now this street is not big enough for a car but it is certainly big enough for a motorbike or scooter.  One always has to be on alert for a scooter whizzing by.
102_4457
This street is large enough to get a vehicle down, as one can see by the truck.  Now, the driver of that particular truck is selling some sort of dried fruit out of the truck bed.  Can’t say that I would be partaking of his wares. 
102_4455
All over Korea one can find cute little characters.  They are everywhere, billboards, buildings, signs, even the bus stops. These cute little cows beckon us into this restaurant.
102_4458 
For my friend, Mary, Hello Kitty is plentiful around Korea and I promise to bring home Kitty for her.  Unfortunately, this one is not quite her size so I left it hanging.
102_4456
Even in Korea, gamer geeks can find the usual comforts of home! I was amused when I looked in the store and it was full of tall, geeky young men; quite like the one I call “son.”
102_4462
Driving home we were graced by a beautiful sunset.  It’s a source of beauty and comfort no matter which country you’re located in.  All in all it was a crazy, wonderful, confusing, happy day.
Quote of the moment: You can't stay in your corner of the forest waiting for others to come to you.  You have to go to them sometimes. ~A. A. Milne (Author of Winnie the Pooh)

1 comment:

  1. We do indeed have it good here in America don't we! ;)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you.